Reports to: Manager, Cybersecurity
Job Type: Full-time/permanent
Location: Downtown Ottawa
CANARIE strengthens Canadian leadership in science and technology by delivering digital infrastructure that supports world-class research and innovation.
CANARIE and its twelve provincial and territorial partners form Canada’s National Research and Education Network. This ultra-high-speed network connects Canada’s researchers, educators and innovators to each other and to global data, technology, and colleagues.
Beyond the network, CANARIE funds and promotes reusable research software tools and national research data management initiatives to accelerate discovery, provides identity management services to the academic community, and offers advanced networking and cloud resources to boost commercialization in Canada’s technology sector.
Established in 1993, CANARIE is a non-profit corporation, with the majority of its funding provided by the Government of Canada.
CANARIE offers a dynamic work environment, with a small team of positive, talented and committed individuals collaborating to keep Canada at the forefront of research and innovation. Team members are energized by the impact that their work makes on a daily basis to enrich the lives of Canadians and researchers around the world. CANARIE staff benefit from working with the latest technologies and collaborating with Canada’s most innovative researchers, entrepreneurs, academic faculty and students.
As part of the Cybersecurity Program, the Cybersecurity Analyst helps to protect against cyber threats by using a range of technologies and processes designed to prevent, detect and mitigate cyber-attacks. This position supports the execution of cybersecurity within CANARIE, initiatives in collaboration with our provincial and territorial partners for the Canadian National Research and Education Network (NREN), with education and research institutions and others across Canada, and globally with our international NREN partners.
The Analyst will be accountable for CANARIE Security Information and Events Management (SIEM) analysis, cybersecurity related systems administration, and security reports generation. In addition, the Analyst will collaboratively work with NREN and institutional Cybersecurity Specialists on CANARIE Cybersecurity Program related tasks including incident response, sharing of technical expertise, security processes, and security reports generation.
Functions & Responsibilities
The Cybersecurity Analyst will be responsible for the following:
- CANARIE internal systems SIEM monitoring, logs analysis with the IT Team, Network Team, and NREN partner teams when necessary
- Security appliances administration
- Collaborative implementation with NREN partner teams improving security.
- Technical support within CANARIE Cybersecurity Program initiatives
- Providing after-hours cybersecurity support on a rotating basis
- Other related duties
- College diploma or university degree or a suitable combination of education, experience, or other relevant cybersecurity training
- At least two years of progressive IT security experience
- Knowledge of and experience with information system architecture and security controls (i.e. firewalls, operating systems configurations, databases, information security policies and procedures)
- Knowledge of application security best practices, tools and methodologies.
- Relevant security certifications an asset
- Strong interpersonal skills, with a high degree of self-motivation and ability to work independently
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, along with comfort including group presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to gain trust and credibility from internal and external stakeholders
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Proven experience of installing and configuring open-source software
- Bilingualism is a strong asset
How to Apply
Please send your expression of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the name of the position in which you’re interested. We thank all applicants, however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
CANARIE welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.