CANARIE strengthens Canadian leadership in science and technology by delivering digital infrastructure to support world-class research that directly benefits all Canadians.
CANARIE and its twelve provincial and territorial partners form Canada’s National Research and Education Network. This ultra-high-speed network connects Canada’s researchers, educators and innovators to each other and to global data, technology, and colleagues.
Beyond the network, CANARIE funds and promotes reusable research software tools and national research data management initiatives to accelerate discovery, provides identity management services to the academic community, and offers advanced networking and cloud resources to boost commercialization in Canada’s technology sector.
Established in 1993, CANARIE is a non-profit corporation, with the majority of its funding provided by the Government of Canada.
Who We Are
We’re a small team of dedicated thinkers, innovators, and problem-solvers. Our team is positive, passionate, and collaborative.
We work with Canada’s higher-ed community, private sector, and government partners to ensure that Canada’s bright researchers and entrepreneurs benefit from the technologies and tools that are critical to their success. Together with our partners across the country, we work to ensure that Canada leads in research and innovation.
The Position: Financial Analyst
The Financial Analyst is accountable for performing the day-to-day program accounting and related analysis and reporting, as well as performing other accounting and finance functions.
This is a full-time, permanent position that reports to CANARIE’s Manager, Program Accounting.
Supporting CANARIE’s programs by:
- Analyzing and processing funded participant claims
- Contributing to the funded participant budget finalization process, including building strong relationships
- Developing and maintaining costing models
Preparing and analyzing reports for CANARIE’s programs including:
- Financial reports
- Performance metrics
- Actual vs. budget reports
Contributing to CANARIE’s day-to-day financial accounting by:
- Preparing journal entries, detailed working papers, variance analysis and account reconciliations
- Participating in the month-end, quarter-end and year-end accounting closing activities
- Contributing to system implementation projects
- Domestic and international travel may occasionally be required
- Related duties and responsibilities, as required
The Ideal Candidate
To excel at CANARIE, you have a demonstrated capacity to work collaboratively on teams, and are also an energetic self-starter with the self-motivation to work independently. You have excellent oral and written communication skills, and can count time management, problem solving, and managing multiple priorities as your strengths. You also share a dedication to CANARIE’s core values: service, teamwork, innovation, quality, and integrity.
Relevant experience in publicly funded not-for-profit organizations is desirable. Bilingualism is preferred.
What You Bring
Education and Experience
- College diploma or university degree in Business Administration or Accounting or a suitable combination of education, experience, or other relevant training
- Actively pursuing a Canadian accounting designation is desirable
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant progressive experience
- Strong analytical skills and detail-oriented
- Strong working knowledge of Canadian GAAP
- Strong working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite with advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Working experience in ERP applications and related reporting tools
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains is desirable
- Experience with Power BI is desirable
- Other proficiencies related to the job
Come Work with Us
If this seems to be the right fit for you, please send us a note and your resume to email@example.com, and include the position title in your subject. We thank all applicants, however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.