Junior Software Developer
Reports to: Manager, Software Development
Job Type: Full-time/permanent
Location: Downtown Ottawa
CANARIE strengthens Canadian leadership in science and technology by delivering digital infrastructure that supports world-class research and innovation.
CANARIE and its twelve provincial and territorial partners form Canada’s National Research and Education Network. This ultra-high-speed network connects Canada’s researchers, educators and innovators to each other and to global data, technology, and colleagues.
Beyond the network, CANARIE funds and promotes reusable research software tools and national research data management initiatives to accelerate discovery, provides identity management services to the academic community, and offers advanced networking and cloud resources to boost commercialization in Canada’s technology sector.
Established in 1993, CANARIE is a non-profit corporation, with the majority of its funding provided by the Government of Canada.
CANARIE offers a dynamic work environment, with a small team of positive, talented and committed individuals collaborating to keep Canada at the forefront of research and innovation. Team members are energized by the impact that their work makes on a daily basis to enrich the lives of Canadians and researchers around the world. CANARIE staff benefit from working with the latest technologies and collaborating with Canada’s most innovative researchers, entrepreneurs, academic faculty and students.
Working as part of a dynamic team on cutting edge technology, the Junior Software Developer is accountable for designing, developing, installing and maintaining software to support CANARIE’s Research Software, Network and Identity Management programs. The Software Developer will have the opportunity to expand his/her skills through exposure to next-generation technologies and experimental projects.
Functions & Responsibilities
The Junior Software Developer will be responsible for the following:
- Developing and consistently improving software components
- Participating in feature development from definition through deployment
- Assisting with the design and implementation of DevOps pipelines
- Executing production environment change management processes
- Integrating, packaging and configuring existing software
- Researching and evaluating new technologies
- Contributing to the development of best practices
- Working effectively within an Agile development team
The successful candidate will have the following education, skills and abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree or college diploma in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related field, or significant equivalent experience
- Experience in application design and development, particularly for Linux targets
- Working knowledge of TCP/IP and networking technologies
- Strong interest in advanced computing technology, including identity management
- Exceptional written and oral communications skills in English
- Bilingualism an asset
In addition, the candidate should have experience with one or more of the following technologies:
- Web GUI development
- Web services development: REST, JSON, XML
- RADIUS and/or SAML 2.0 protocols and related solutions
- Single sign-on, multi-factor authentication, public key infrastructure (PKI), X.509 certificates, SSL/TLS
- Identity management applications such as ADFS or Shibboleth
- Agile software development
- Docker containers and CI/CD (Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment)
How to Apply
Please send your expression of interest and resume to email@example.com quoting the name of the position in which you’re interested. We thank all applicants, however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
CANARIE welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.