Reports to: Chief Technology Officer
Job Type: Full-time/permanent
Location: Downtown Ottawa
CANARIE designs, delivers, and drives the adoption of digital infrastructure for Canada’s research and education communities. CANARIE keeps Canada at the forefront of digital research and innovation, fundamental to a vibrant digital economy. CANARIE funds programs and tools that promote the evolution of a leading-edge digital infrastructure supporting Canadian researchers and innovators, fostering a growing, competitive, knowledge-based Canadian economy. CANARIE is a non-profit corporation supported by membership fees, with major funding of its programs and activities provided by the Government of Canada.
The work environment at CANARIE is dynamic, with a small team of positive, energetic and committed individuals evolving and leveraging the CANARIE network and associated programs using cutting-edge technologies and highly collaborative processes. Given that CANARIE works at the nexus of two rapidly changing environments – research and technology – it is critical that team members demonstrate an appetite for new challenges and an ability to embrace and respond to change.
Working within CANARIE, as well as engaging in extensive collaboration with CANARIE partners and organizations, the Manager, Cybersecurity is accountable for strategically exploring, defining, managing, evolving, and promoting policies, programs and procedures that secure CANARIE programs, services and corporate information; and for coordinating security initiatives with the Canadian National Research and Education Network (NREN), connected institutions, and international partner networks.
Functions & Responsibilities
The Manager, Cybersecurity is an advanced technical resource in the field of security innovation and functions as a subject-matter expert who provides specialized guidance to the organization and its stakeholders. The Manager, Cybersecurity will be responsible for the following:
- Advise, coordinate and recommend NREN networking security standards and guidelines.
- Oversee CANARIE network security standards and guidelines; for example, develop, maintain, and publish security standards, and monitor compliance.
- Oversee CANARIE corporate information security standards and guidelines.
- Develop relationships with international NRENs to collaborate on common networking security standards and guidelines.
- Continuously evolve policies and procedures involving the security of CANARIE and NREN services.
- Develop mechanisms to assess and report on security initiatives.
- Act as a central point of contact for internal and external partners, particularly Computer Emergency Response Teams (CERTs), with respect to security issues.
- Research, evaluate and introduce new security technologies for research, research data, education, and networking purposes.
The successful candidate will be an energetic self-starter who is an excellent team player. In addition, the candidate will meet the following requirements:
- College diploma or university degree or a suitable combination of education, experience, or other relevant training.
- At least ten years of progressive IT security experience.
- Relevant security certifications.
- Knowledge of and experience with information system architecture and security controls (i.e. firewalls, operating systems configurations, databases, information security policies and procedures).
- Knowledge of application security best practices, tools and methodologies.
- Experience in security testing of Internet infrastructure and applications utilizing manual and automated tools.
- Technical expertise in a wide portfolio of security control technologies.
- High-level knowledge of principles, practices and procedures of information security as it applies to and impacts an enterprise.
- Demonstrated ability to balance needs of functionality and security.
- Understanding of network technology at both layer 2 and 3.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with a high degree of self-motivation and ability to work independently.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, along with strong group presentation skills.
- Experience in project leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with all levels in an organization to ensure motivation and commitment to information security.
- Demonstrated ability to gain trust and credibility from internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent consultative, analytical, and problem solving skills.
- Bilingualism will be considered a strong asset.
How to Apply
Please send your expression of interest and resume to email@example.com quoting the name of the position in which you’re interested. We thank all applicants; however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.