Manager, Program Accounting
Reports to: Director, Finance
Job Type: Full-time/permanent
Location: Downtown Ottawa
CANARIE strengthens Canadian leadership in science and technology by delivering digital infrastructure that supports world-class research and innovation.
CANARIE and its twelve provincial and territorial partners form Canada’s National Research and Education Network. This ultra-high-speed network connects Canada’s researchers, educators and innovators to each other and to global data, technology, and colleagues.
Beyond the network, CANARIE funds and promotes reusable research software tools and national research data management initiatives to accelerate discovery, provides identity management services to the academic community, and offers advanced networking and cloud resources to boost commercialization in Canada’s technology sector.
Established in 1993, CANARIE is a non-profit corporation, with the majority of its funding provided by the Government of Canada.
CANARIE offers a dynamic work environment, with a small team of positive, talented and committed individuals collaborating to keep Canada at the forefront of research and innovation. Team members are energized by the impact that their work makes on a daily basis to enrich the lives of Canadians and researchers around the world. CANARIE staff benefit from working with the latest technologies and collaborating with Canada’s most innovative researchers, entrepreneurs, academic faculty and students.
The Manager, Program Accounting will be accountable for managing CANARIE’s program accounting, as well as performing other accounting and finance related functions.
The Manager, Program Accounting applies a high degree of analytical skills to complex situations.
Functions & Responsibilities
The Manager, Program Accounting will be responsible for the following:
- Managing the financial aspects of CANARIE’s funding programs by supporting the participants during the budget, claims and audit cycle
- Designing and preparing financial reports for funding programs
- Managing the funded program audits
- Managing financial reporting for CANARIE’s programs
- Recommending program financial solution enhancements
- Contribute to system implementation projects
- Developing, analyzing, reporting and presenting financial metrics
- Preparing accounting process documentation
- Preparing detailed working papers and account reconciliation to support corporate financial reporting
- Maintaining internal financial controls, ensuring appropriate business policies and procedures relating to program accounting practices are in place
- Applying senior accounting skills, analytical skills and knowledge to complete diverse and complex assignments
- Additional duties and responsibilities as assigned
The successful candidate will have the following:
- College diploma or university degree in Finance, Accounting or a related field.
- CPA designation in good standing
- A minimum of 8 years of relevant experience
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Capacity to identify and articulate potential problems and provide possible solutions in a concise and clear manner
- Highly organized and able to manage multiple priorities
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Advanced experience with Microsoft Excel
- High proficiency using ERP applications and related reporting tools
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains is desirable
- Bilingualism preferred
How to Apply
Please send your expression of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the name of the position in which you’re interested. We thank all applicants, however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
CANARIE welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.