Manager, Technology Innovation
Reports to: Senior Director, Technology Innovation
Job Type: Full-time/permanent
Location: Downtown Ottawa
CANARIE designs, delivers, and drives the adoption of digital infrastructure for Canada’s research and education communities. CANARIE keeps Canada at the forefront of digital research and innovation, fundamental to a vibrant digital economy. CANARIE funds programs and tools that promote the evolution of a leading-edge digital infrastructure supporting Canadian researchers and innovators, fostering a growing, competitive, knowledge-based Canadian economy. CANARIE is a non-profit corporation supported by membership fees, with major funding of its programs and activities provided by the Government of Canada.
The work environment at CANARIE is dynamic, with a small team of positive, energetic and committed individuals evolving and leveraging the CANARIE network and associated programs using cutting-edge technologies and highly collaborative processes. Given that CANARIE works at the nexus of two rapidly changing environments – research and technology – it is critical that team members demonstrate an appetite for new challenges and an ability to embrace and respond to change.
Working on cutting edge cloud-based computing, the Manager Technology Innovation is accountable for: defining, managing, evolving and supporting infrastructure and software services that exploit the power of cloud.
The Digital Accelerator for Innovation and Research (DAIR) testbed supports commercialization by Canadian entrepreneurs and researchers through advanced networking and cloud computing. DAIR enables the creation of innovative applications, products and services. A key component of this role is working with small and medium sized companies (SMEs) to advance innovation and commercialization of products and services in by Canadian companies.
Functions & Responsibilities
The Manager Technology Innovation will be responsible for the following:
- Defining, managing and constantly improving an OpenStack infrastructure, primarily IaaS but also PaaS and SaaS.
- Working with development and support peers in a multisite development environment.
- Leading cloud feature development from definition through customer support.
- Engaging with SMEs to promote the use of DAIR, to provide best practice cloud architecture patterns, and to understand the evolution of services required for DAIR.
- Budgeting, forecasting, reporting and metrics analytics for DAIR.
- Researching new technology trends and how DAIR may evolve to use these innovations to further advance SME commercialization.
The successful candidate will have a strong background in leading software development, project management and will also have the following:
- Ability to learn new platforms and technologies quickly
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Interest in advanced computing and/or networking technology
- Ability to analyze and translate SME requirements into cloud technologies
- Ability to perform first level support on cloud technologies when required
- Ability to speak at technology gatherings
- Product management experience
In addition, experience with the following is an asset:
- Administration of a cloud infrastructure using popular cloud management platforms such as OpenStack or VmWare
- Experience using public cloud services like AWS, Microsoft Azure, or SoftLayer
- Linux (RHEL, CentOS, Ubuntu), experience extensible to administrator tasks
- Windows (Server), experience extensible to administrator tasks
- Web technologies
How to Apply
Please send your expression of interest and resume to email@example.com quoting the name of the position in which you’re interested. We thank all applicants, however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
CANARIE welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.