Network Software Developer
Reports to: Chief Engineer
Job Type: Full-time/permanent
Location: Downtown Ottawa
CANARIE strengthens Canadian leadership in science and technology by delivering digital infrastructure to support world-class research that directly benefits all Canadians.
Twelve provincial and territorial network partners, together with CANARIE, collectively form Canada’s National Research and Education Network (NREN). Canadians at universities, colleges, research institutes, hospitals, and government laboratories rely on this ultra high-speed network to collaborate in data-intensive, cutting edge research and innovation within Canada and with colleagues in over 100 countries.
Beyond the network, CANARIE funds and promotes reusable research software tools to accelerate scientific discovery. CANARIE also supports Research Data Canada as it leads national research data management initiatives, and through the Canadian Access Federation, provides identity management services that enable secure, ubiquitous connectivity and content access to the academic community. To boost commercialization in Canada’s technology sector, CANARIE offers cloud resources to startups through its DAIR service, and links a powerful community of public and private sector partners in the Centre of Excellence in Next Generation Networks (CENGN).
Established in 1993, CANARIE is a non-profit corporation, with the majority of its funding provided by the Government of Canada.
CANARIE offers a dynamic work environment, with a small team of positive, talented and committed individuals collaborating to keep Canada at the forefront of research and innovation. Team members are energized by the impact that their work makes on a daily basis to enrich the lives of Canadians and researchers around the world. CANARIE staff benefit from working with the latest technologies and collaborating with Canada’s most innovative researchers, entrepreneurs, academic faculty and students.
As part of the network design and operation, the Network Software Developer will assist the network team to shape service delivery and architecture of the Canadian National Research and Education Network (NREN).
The Network Software Developer will be accountable for the technical design, development and implementation of software applications to drive the network infrastructure, and support day-to-day operation of the network infrastructure and its services.
The individual will actively participate in all facets of software and network services development, including functional specification, detailed design, coding, testing and daily support of applications. Often the individual will collaborate with partners nationally and internationally in initiatives that drive deployment and adoption of advanced network services, potentially leading a group of collaborators to deliver a solution that achieves a common goal.
Functions & Responsibilities
The Network Software Developer will be responsible for the following:
- Assisting in the development and implementation of software-driven solutions for managing network infrastructure and services
- Working closely with the software development team in developing software applications and solutions in Agile/SCRUM environment
- Coding and scripting in a Linux environment
- Providing administrative support for network applications on Linux servers, including updating patches configuration and installation
- Participating in or leading a project team to jointly work on initiatives that drive adoption and implementation of advanced network services
- Assisting the network operation team of managing the CANARIE network and providing front line client support of resolving network issues
- Providing after-hours client support on a rotating basis
- Performing daily system network and services monitoring
- Additional duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- Proven experience in software development and methodology in Agile/SCRUM environment
- Proven experience in software development technologies, but not limited to: RESTful API, XML, SOAP, JSON, JAVA, python, C++, SQL Databases, PHP.
- Proven experience in Linux server environment and custom scripting
- Proven experience of installing and configuring open-source software
- Working knowledge of SDN or Network Function Virtualization (NFV)
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Proven project management skill is a strong asset.
- Working knowledge of TCPIP and/or networking technologies is a strong asset
- Bilingualism is a strong asset
- Working experience in software tools such as OpenNMS, Splunk, MRTG, Nagios, or OTRS is an asset
How to Apply
Please send your expression of interest and resume to email@example.com quoting the name of the position in which you’re interested. We thank all applicants, however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
CANARIE welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.