Policy and Process Documentation Specialist
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
Job Type: Contract
Location: Downtown Ottawa
CANARIE designs, delivers, and drives the adoption of digital infrastructure for Canada’s research and education communities. CANARIE keeps Canada at the forefront of digital research and innovation, fundamental to a vibrant digital economy. CANARIE funds programs and tools that promote the evolution of a leading-edge digital infrastructure supporting Canadian researchers and innovators, fostering a growing, competitive, knowledge-based Canadian economy. CANARIE is a non-profit corporation supported by membership fees, with major funding of its programs and activities provided by the Government of Canada.
The work environment at CANARIE is dynamic, with a small team of positive, energetic and committed individuals evolving and leveraging the CANARIE network and associated programs using cutting-edge technologies and highly collaborative processes. Given that CANARIE works at the nexus of two rapidly changing environments – research and technology – it is critical that team members demonstrate an appetite for new challenges and an ability to embrace and respond to change.
The Policy and Process Documentation Specialist is accountable for assessing CANARIE’s current business process documentation, documenting business processes and, where necessary, writing policy documents to support the processes.
Functions & Responsibilities
The Policy and Process Documentation Specialist will have the following responsibilities:
- Review the existing processes and policies and documentation to identify gaps and areas for improvement
- Evaluate requirements and prepare new or modify current material
- Interview subject matter experts to obtain relevant content
- Identify ways to simplify, automate and/or standardize processes and policies where possible
- Write detailed policy and procedure documents based on discussions with process owners and identify and create process flows with an emphasis on accuracy and business needs
- Develop materials to document end-to-end process flows
- Recommend best practices in documentation
- Ensure all documentation is consistent
- Contribute ideas to enhance process efficiency
- Use effective project management techniques to organize and report on project progress
- Conduct follow-up to ensure documentation has met needs
The successful candidate will have the following education, skills and abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree or college diploma in Business or a related field, or significant equivalent experience
- Minimum 5 years working experience in a similar type of role documenting processes and writing policy in a technical environment
- Strong Microsoft Office skills
- Solid experience in project management
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong English written and oral communication skills, bilingualism is a strong asset
- Ability to work effectively independently to meet deadlines
Experience with the following is desired:
- Previous experience working in a not-for-profit organization
How to Apply
Please send your expression of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the name of the position in which you’re interested. We thank all applicants, however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
CANARIE welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.