Program Manager, DAIR Cloud
Reports to: Senior Director, Technology Innovation
Job Type: Full-time/permanent
Location: Downtown Ottawa
CANARIE strengthens Canadian leadership in science and technology by delivering digital infrastructure that supports world-class research and innovation.
CANARIE and its twelve provincial and territorial partners form Canada’s National Research and Education Network. This ultra-high-speed network connects Canada’s researchers, educators and innovators to each other and to global data, technology, and colleagues.
Beyond the network, CANARIE funds and promotes reusable research software tools and national research data management initiatives to accelerate discovery, provides identity management services to the academic community, and offers advanced networking and cloud resources to boost commercialization in Canada’s technology sector.
Established in 1993, CANARIE is a non-profit corporation, with the majority of its funding provided by the Government of Canada.
CANARIE offers a dynamic work environment, with a small team of positive, talented and committed individuals collaborating to keep Canada at the forefront of research and innovation. Team members are energized by the impact that their work makes on a daily basis to enrich the lives of Canadians and researchers around the world. CANARIE staff benefit from working with the latest technologies and collaborating with Canada’s most innovative researchers, entrepreneurs, academic faculty and students.
The Digital Accelerator for Innovation and Research (DAIR) testbed provides Canadian startups and small businesses with free cloud-based computing resources for product design, development, prototyping, and demonstration purposes. A key component of this role is working with startups and small and medium sized companies (SMEs) to advance innovation and commercialization of products and services built by Canadian companies.
Working on cutting edge cloud-based computing, the Program Manager, DAIR, is accountable for: defining, managing, evolving and supporting the DAIR infrastructure and software services that exploit the power of cloud computing.
Functions & Responsibilities
The Program Manager, DAIR, will be responsible for the following:
- Managing the DAIR program
- Oversee the sustaining of an OpenStack based private cloud
- Defining, managing and constantly improving a framework with a mix of on-premises, private cloud and third-party, public cloud services with orchestration between the two platforms, primarily IaaS but also PaaS and SaaS.
- Working with development and support peers in a multisite development environment.
- Leading cloud feature development from definition through customer support.
- Engaging with SMEs to promote the use of DAIR, to provide best practice cloud architecture patterns, and to understand the evolution of services required for DAIR.
- Developing and publishing documentation (informational and technical) that are concise and easy to comprehend for non-technical readers.
- Researching and evaluating valuable new technologies and proposing how DAIR may evolve to use these innovations to further advance SME commercialization.
- Managing the transition and then subsequent operation, from DAIR’s existing format to a new evolved structure.
The successful candidate will have a strong background in architecting and leading software design/development for hybrid-cloud environments and will also have the following:
- Experience designing and building out a hybrid cloud environment with multiple public cloud vendors
- Ability to learn new platforms and technologies quickly
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Interest in advanced cloud-based computing and networking technology
- Ability to analyze and translate SME requirements into cloud solutions
- Ability to perform first level support on cloud technologies when required
- Comfortable and highly effective speaking at technology events or gatherings
- Product and project management experience
- Self-starter, well organized and able to prioritize work independently
- Bilingualism will be considered a strong asset
In addition, experience with the following is an asset:
- Familiarity with one or more leading edge technologies such as; Machine Learning, IoT, Artificial Intelligence, Blockchain, Virtual Reality, Predictive Analytics
- Linux (RHEL, CentOS, Ubuntu), experience extensible to administrator tasks
- Windows (Server), experience extensible to administrator tasks
How to Apply
Please send your expression of interest and resume to email@example.com quoting the name of the position in which you’re interested. We thank all applicants, however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
CANARIE welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.