Intern, Research Data Canada (RDC)
CANARIE strengthens Canadian leadership in science and technology by delivering digital infrastructure to support world-class research that directly benefits all Canadians.
CANARIE and its twelve provincial and territorial partners form Canada’s National Research and Education Network. This ultra-high-speed network connects Canada’s researchers, educators, and innovators to each other and to global data, technology, and colleagues.
Beyond the network, CANARIE funds and promotes reusable research software tools and national research data management initiatives to accelerate discovery, provides identity management services to the academic community, and offers advanced networking and cloud resources to boost commercialization in Canada’s technology sector.
Established in 1993, CANARIE is a non-profit corporation, with the majority of its funding provided by the Government of Canada.
Research Data Canada (RDC) is a stakeholder-driven and supported organization dedicated to improving the management of research data in Canada. No single institution can address the challenges of managing this data alone. RDC’s role is to bring together key stakeholders to develop strategy, facilitate communication and partnerships, promote education and training, measure progress, and bring attention to gaps. RDC also acts as single point of contact for Canada with international initiatives, ensuring engagement with appropriate stakeholders.
RDC Vision: Canadians have access to national and international collections of publicly funded research data.
RDC Mission: Work with stakeholders to ensure research data is re-usable in support of innovation that benefits all Canadians.
Who We Are
We’re a small team of dedicated thinkers, innovators, and problem-solvers. Our team is positive, passionate, and collaborative.
We work with Canada’s higher-ed community, private sector, and government partners to ensure that Canada’s bright researchers and entrepreneurs benefit from the technologies and tools that are critical to their success. Together with our partners across the country, we work to ensure that Canada leads in research and innovation.
The Position: Intern, RDC (8-month full-time term position beginning in April/May 2020), working in Ottawa or remotely
The Intern, RDC is accountable for understanding the context of RDC in the broader stakeholder community and for working with the Executive Director and acting on the Vision and Mission of the organization to maximize the impact of RDC activities and outputs.
This is a full-time, term position that reports to RDC’s Executive Director.
- Assisting with reporting on progress for the RDC Roadmap (2020-2022)
- Assisting with organizing, preparing material for, and developing outputs for RDC events, committees, and working groups including the National Data Services Framework Summits
- Socializing and promoting RDC outputs
- Managing RDC’s Zenodo repository
- Contributing to RDC communications such as the newsletter, blogs, webinars, and Twitter
- Communicating with RDC stakeholders
- Domestic and international travel may occasionally be required
- Related duties and responsibilities, as required
The Ideal Candidate
To excel at CANARIE, you have a demonstrated capacity to work collaboratively on teams and are also an energetic self-starter with the self-motivation to work independently. You have excellent oral and written communication skills, and can count time management, problem solving, and managing multiple priorities as your strengths. You also share a dedication to CANARIE’s core values: service, teamwork, innovation, quality, and integrity.
Relevant experience in publicly funded not-for-profit organizations is desirable. Bilingualism is preferred.
What You Bring
Education and Experience
- Graduate from a M.L.I.S, Data Science or equivalent program
- Advanced research, writing and editing skills
- Knowledge of research data management issues and solutions
- Strong working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite
- Experience with a variety of Internet tools such as WordPress, VIVO, Drupal, Zotero, etc.
- Detailed understanding of the research process and research data lifecycle is highly desirable
Come Work with Us
If this seems to be the right fit for you, please send us a note and your resume to email@example.com, and include the position title in your subject. We thank all applicants, however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.