Senior Director, Technology Innovation
Reports to: Chief Technology Officer
Job Type: Full-time/permanent
Location: Downtown Ottawa
CANARIE strengthens Canadian leadership in science and technology by delivering digital infrastructure to support world-class research that directly benefits all Canadians.
Twelve provincial and territorial network partners, together with CANARIE, collectively form Canada’s National Research and Education Network (NREN). Canadians at universities, colleges, research institutes, hospitals, and government laboratories rely on this ultra-high-speed network to collaborate in data-intensive, cutting edge research and innovation within Canada and with colleagues in over 100 countries.
Beyond the network, CANARIE funds and promotes reusable research software tools to accelerate scientific discovery. CANARIE also supports Research Data Canada as it leads national research data management initiatives, and through the Canadian Access Federation, provides identity management services that enable secure, ubiquitous connectivity and content access to the academic community. To boost commercialization in Canada’s technology sector, CANARIE offers cloud resources to startups through its DAIR service, and links a powerful community of public and private sector partners in the Centre of Excellence in Next Generation Networks (CENGN).
Established in 1993, CANARIE is a non-profit corporation, with the majority of its funding provided by the Government of Canada.
CANARIE offers a dynamic work environment, with a small team of positive, talented and committed individuals collaborating to keep Canada at the forefront of research and innovation. Team members are energized by the impact that their work makes on a daily basis to enrich the lives of Canadians and researchers around the world. CANARIE staff benefit from working with the latest technologies and collaborating with Canada’s most innovative researchers, entrepreneurs, academic faculty and students.
Working on cutting edge computing, networking and next generation technologies, the Senior Director Technology Innovation strategically explores, defines, manages, evolves, and promotes infrastructure that exploits innovative technologies in support of advanced research and the evolution of Canada’s digital economy.
The Senior Director Technology Innovation is accountable for:
- Planning, definition and delivery of programs and services to support CANARIE’s Private Sector Innovation mandate; and
- Planning, definition and delivery of programs and services to support CANARIE’s Identity and Access Management efforts; and
- Exploring, assessing for use, and introducing next generation computing, networking and other technologies to existing, and potential future CANARIE programs; and
- harmonizing and coordinating technology and innovation opportunities across CANARIE programs.
Functions & Responsibilities
- Promote the use of CANARIE technology offerings to Canadian SMEs, and through an understanding of needs, evolve the services provided to maximize their benefit to the SME community.
- Promote the use of Identity and Access Management to Canadian higher education and research, and through an understanding of needs, evolve the services provided to maximize their benefit to the higher education and research community.
- Define, implement and operate CANARIE’s next Private Sector Innovation program(s).
- Continually improve CANARIE technology and innovation initiatives, particularly by coordinating between CANARIE programs and in concert with other partners within the research and innovation community.
- Research, evaluate and introduce valuable new technology such as Software Defined Networking, Network Function Virtualization, and Computer Virtualization for research, research data, education, networking, and security purposes.
The successful candidate will be an energetic, self-starter who is an excellent team player. In addition, the candidate will meet the following requirements:
- College diploma or university degree or a suitable combination of education, experience, or other relevant training;
- An advanced understanding of at least one of: software development, information and communications technologies, and identity management.
- 15-20 years of progressive experience;
- Entrepreneurial experience;
- Private sector innovation program experience
- Ability to learn new platforms and technologies quickly, and to analyze and translate Senior Management’s requirements into high level solutions;
- Ability to create and sustain productive relationships with a wide range of individuals;
- Demonstrated ability to gain trust and credibility from internal and external stakeholders.
- Team management experience;
- Experience in project leadership;
- Strong interpersonal skills, with a high degree of self-motivation and ability to work independently;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, along with strong group presentation skills;
- Excellent consultative, analytical, and problem solving skills; and
- Bilingualism will be considered a strong asset.
How to Apply
Please send your expression of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the name of the position in which you’re interested. We thank all applicants, however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
CANARIE welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.