CANARIE connects Canadians to each other and to the world. Our programs equip Canadian researchers, students, and startups to excel on the global stage.
Together with our twelve provincial and territorial partners, we form Canada’s National Research and Education Network (NREN). This ultra-high-speed network connects Canada’s researchers, educators, and innovators to each other and to global data, technology, and colleagues.
Beyond the network, we fund and promote the development of software for research and national efforts to manage data generated from research. To strengthen the security of Canada’s higher-ed sector, we collaborate with our partners in the NREN, government, academia, and the private sector to fund, implement, and support cybersecurity initiatives. We also provide identity management services to the academic community and boost Canada’s startups with cloud resources and expertise in emerging technologies.
Established in 1993, we are a non-profit corporation, with most of our funding provided by the Government of Canada.
Who We Are
We’re a small team of dedicated thinkers, innovators, and problem-solvers. Our team is positive, passionate, and collaborative.
We work with Canada’s higher-ed community, private sector, and government partners to ensure that Canada’s bright researchers and entrepreneurs benefit from the technologies and tools that are critical to their success. Together with our partners across the country, we work to ensure that Canada leads in research and innovation.
The Position: Software Developer
The Software Developer is accountable for designing, developing, installing and maintaining software to support CANARIE’s programs.
This is a full-time, permanent position that reports to CANARIE’s Manager, Software Development.
- Building and consistently improving software components
- Working effectively within an Agile development team
- Participating in feature development from definition through deployment
- Researching and evaluating new technologies
- Contributing to the development of best practices
- Domestic and international travel may occasionally be required
- Related duties and responsibilities, as required
The Ideal Candidate
To excel at CANARIE, you have a demonstrated capacity to work collaboratively on teams, and are also an energetic self-starter with the self-motivation to work independently. You have excellent oral and written communication skills, and can count time management, problem solving, and managing multiple priorities as your strengths. You also share a dedication to CANARIE’s core values: service, teamwork, innovation, quality, and integrity.
Relevant experience in publicly funded not-for-profit organizations is desirable. Bilingualism is preferred.
What You Bring
Education and Experience
- College diploma or university degree in Computer Science or a suitable combination of education, experience, or other relevant training
- Minimum of 4 years of work experience in a software developer role
- Previous working experience developing full stack applications
- Previous working experience in application design and development for Linux and Windows
- Demonstrable experience collaborating on, or leading, software system design
- Demonstrable experience developing software stories and requirement gathering
- Previous working experience with either Kanban or SCRUM development practices
- Demonstrable experience applying software design patterns and system thinking
- Able to clearly communicate technical information
- Knowledge of database design and database system administration
- Experience with backend / middleware development
- Web GUI development experience
- Demonstrable ability to learn new platforms, programming languages and technologies quickly
- Able to mentor junior developers in sound software development practices
- Experience performing and comfortable receiving feedback on code reviews
- Knowledgeable and proficient with modern deployment environments: Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, Linux, Windows
- Knowledgeable and proficient with RESTful APIs, JSON, XML
- Strong working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite
Come Work with Us
If this seems to be the right fit for you, please send us a note and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include the position title in your subject. We thank all applicants, however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.