CANARIE connects Canadians to each other and to the world. Our programs equip Canadian researchers, students, and startups to excel on the global stage.
Together with our thirteen provincial and territorial partners, we form Canada’s National Research and Education Network (NREN). This ultra-high-speed network connects Canada’s researchers, educators, and innovators to each other and to global data, technology, and colleagues.
Beyond the network, we fund and promote the development of software for research and national efforts to manage data generated from research. To strengthen the security of Canada’s higher-ed sector, we collaborate with our partners in the NREN, government, academia, and the private sector to fund, implement, and support cybersecurity initiatives. We also provide identity management services to the academic community and boost Canada’s startups with cloud resources and expertise in emerging technologies.
Established in 1993, we are a non-profit corporation, with most of our funding provided by the Government of Canada.
Who We Are
We’re a small team of dedicated thinkers, innovators, and problem-solvers. Our team is positive, passionate, and collaborative.
We work with Canada’s higher-ed community, private sector, and government partners to ensure that Canada’s bright researchers and entrepreneurs benefit from the technologies and tools that are critical to their success. Together with our partners across the country, we work to ensure that Canada leads in research and innovation.
The Position: Test Engineer
The Test Engineer is accountable for defining and driving the integration test strategy in support of CANARIE’s Research Software and Network programs. This position is very hands-on and includes a significant automated test development component along with manual testing where necessary.
This is a full-time, permanent position that reports to CANARIE’s Manager, Software Development.
- Designing and maintaining the software test bed
- Designing and implementing both automated and manual test suites for web applications and server-side components
- Evaluating and recommending automated test technologies and practices
- Working effectively within an Agile development team
- Participating in feature development from definition through deployment
- Contributing to the development of best practices
- Domestic and international travel may occasionally be required
- Related duties and responsibilities, as required
The Ideal Candidate
To excel at CANARIE, you have a demonstrated capacity to work collaboratively on teams, and are also an energetic self-starter with the self-motivation to work independently. You have excellent oral and written communication skills, and can count time management, problem solving, and managing multiple priorities as your strengths. You also share a dedication to CANARIE’s core values: service, teamwork, innovation, quality, and integrity.
Relevant experience in publicly funded not-for-profit organizations is desirable. Bilingualism is preferred.
What You Bring
Education and Experience
- College diploma or university degree in Computer Science or a suitable combination of education, experience, or other relevant training
- Minimum of 2 years of working experience in developing automated test suites for web applications and web services
- Previous working experience writing automated tests for Linux and Windows
- Demonstrable experience collaborating with developers and providing test insight for design
- Demonstrable ability with requirements/story analysis
- Demonstrable ability to design and develop automated functional and usability tests
- Able to author Test Plan documentation
- Demonstrable ability with results analysis, debugging and root cause investigation
- Demonstrable ability to collaborate with developers and provide testing insight
- Able to clearly communicate technical information
- Demonstrable ability to write automated tests for web GUI’s and server-side components
- Able to learn new platforms and technologies quickly
- Knowledge of all phases of the software development process
- Knowledgeable and proficient with modern deployment environments: Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, Linux, Windows
- Knowledgeable and proficient with web application testing: Selenium (or similar frameworks), RESTful APIs, JSON, XML
- Strong working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite
Come Work with Us
If this seems to be the right fit for you, please send us a note and your resume to email@example.com, and include the position title in your subject. We thank all applicants, however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.