Frequently Asked Questions
For DAIR technical support please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- + What does DAIR stand for?
- Digital Accelerator for Innovation and Research
- + What are the free resources that are included with DAIR?
- DAIR includes:
- A hosted-in-Canada public cloud platform
- BoosterPacks: Sample code and docs to get you started in emerging technologies
- Invitations to an exclusive technical webinar series
- Invitation to the DAIR community on Slack so that you can connect with other startups and access tech support from our DAIR experts
- + What happens after a year on DAIR? Where do I go?
- The DAIR Cloud Program promotes cloud independence. After a year, or when you’re ready to move your product or service, you can choose the cloud best suited to your needs and easily migrate on your own terms. A non-exhaustive list of Canadian Cloud providers is provided below, but you’re free to pursue the provider of your choice. Please read the DAIR Migration Preparation Guide for helpful information. Note: CANARIE does not endorse and is not responsible for any representations from these suppliers, nor the content of their external links.
- + Who can apply?
- Any Canadian startup or small or medium-size business with fewer than 500 employees is eligible to apply to DAIR.
- + How long can I use DAIR?
- Qualified businesses can access resources for one (1) year. DAIR is intended for design, development, validation, and/or demonstration of your product or service. The DAIR Cloud Platform is not to be used as a production environment.
- + How do I access BoosterPacks?
- BoosterPacks are included with DAIR and are available to all businesses that qualify for accessing the program (any Canadian startup or small or medium-size business with fewer than 500 employees).
- + I’m having trouble submitting an application, who can help?
- Please contact email@example.com
- + When will I receive a response?
- You should receive a response within three (3) business days. If you have not heard back from us, please make sure you have clicked the final “Submit” button at the end of the application. If you’re still having difficulties, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- + Is it possible to transfer from a commercial cloud to DAIR?
- The DAIR Cloud is a hybrid cloud platform consisting of AWS and Microsoft Azure public clouds in Canada and GPUs in our OpenStack (Ocata) private cloud (which supports basic EC2 interfaces, as well as the OpenStack APIs). Transferring into DAIR from a public cloud is usually straightforward, although some expertise in cloud computing DevOps is required. CANARIE does not provide or perform any transfer services.
- + Does DAIR provide GPUs in addition to (virtual) CPUs?
- Yes, GPUs (1 per tenant) are available to DAIR applicants that have a specific requirement for these resources.
- + What type of GPUs does DAIR provide?
- We have NVIDIA Telsa P100 GPUs, allowing DAIR users to make use of GPU-accelerated libraries in their code (Cuda 10 support). Users also have access to TensorRT GPU-Accelerated Neural Network Inference Library for building deep learning applications that integrate with TensorFlow, among others.
- + What virtualization technology does DAIR use?
- DAIR private cloud (vGPUs) uses OpenStack Ocata, with KVM as the hypervisor. Microsoft Azure runs on a customized version of Hyper-V. Linux Amazon Machine Images in AWS uses one of two types of virtualization: paravirtual (PV) or hardware virtual machine (HVM).
- + Can I request access to extra resources?
- DAIR has moved to a fixed monthly spend allowance for each tenant. You have the flexibility to use as much cloud resources as you wish while operating within your monthly allowance. If your allowance is reached before the end of a cycle, your instances will be temporarily suspended until the start of the next cycle. Underspend from one month cannot be carried over into future months. GPUs are excluded from the monthly allowance (since they are hosted in CANARIE’s private cloud) and may be run up to 100% capacity.
- + How do I make a payment?
- DAIR is a free service designed to help Canadian entrepreneurs and small to medium businesses accelerate their time to market and their learning of emerging technologies, while benefitting from the efficiencies and agility of cloud computing. As such, approved applicants are not required to make any payments to CANARIE.