About CANARIE’s Research Data Management Program
The ability to reuse research data supports accelerated knowledge creation, allows for reproducibility of scientific results, and maximizes return on investment of research funding. The research data management (RDM) workflow, comprising data creation, storage, access and reuse, is supported by a range of software components and tools.
In response to a community-identified need, CANARIE’s RDM Program funds the development of software components and tools to enable Canadian researchers to adopt best practices in research data management.
About the Community Consultation
This consultation will serve as the platform for the community to communicate areas in RDM that require focus and attention. The globally accepted FAIR Principles are the framework within which CANARIE will evaluate the feedback and identify areas requiring funding support. CANARIE and its Research Data Management Advisory Committee will consider community feedback to determine the types of initiatives that will be supported through a funding call. Up to $3M will be made available for this funding call, which is expected to launch in late spring 2018.
The purpose of the consultation is to:
- identify gaps and prioritize opportunities in research data management;
- highlight initiatives and projects that can respond to the identified gaps and opportunities in a sustainable manner;
- determine areas of focus for the funding call.
CANARIE will hold a series of virtual Town Halls to provide more information about the community consultation and the RDM Program in general. Please use either link below to register for one of the sessions.
Community Consultation: Town Hall Webinar Recording
Consultation Response Deadline: February 15th 2018, 4:00 pm ET
Launch of Funding Call: late spring 2018
Who Should Respond
CANARIE encourages responses from a diverse group of individuals and organizations with an informed opinion on research data management. Please note that CANARIE will only accept responses from interested parties and organizations based in Canada.
Responses will be reviewed by CANARIE’s Research Data Management Advisory Committee in the context of the discussion points below.
- Please describe a gap and/or opportunity in research data management that can be filled with the development or enhancement of a software tool or platform.
- Please explain how addressing the gap or opportunity could support the FAIR Principles and contribute to a richer and more sustainable research data management landscape. At least one FAIR Principle should be referenced, but more are encouraged.
- Please describe the specific stakeholder group(s) that would benefit from having the gap or opportunity addressed.
- Please explain how addressing the gap or opportunity could strengthen a National Data Services Framework, especially as it relates to software platforms and components. Items to consider: intersections or enhancements of existing infrastructure; the extent of interoperability with existing platforms or services; creation of new platforms or services that facilitate interoperability nationally.
- Please explain how your idea to address the gap or opportunity will support interoperability with existing data platforms or services internationally.
- Please explain how addressing the gap or opportunity could increase innovation and discovery in Canada, especially in a way that supports Open Science.
- Please explain how your idea to address the gap or opportunity will be sustained.
The following documents are included as reference material to provide further guidance and context for respondents.
Response Review Process
CANARIE’s Research Data Management Advisory Committee will provide guidance to CANARIE in its deployment and execution of the RDM Program. The Committee includes members who represent the full diversity of the RDM community, including senior administration, software development, standards development, policy development, and service/resource delivery.
The Committee will review the responses and provide direction to CANARIE on the focus areas in its upcoming funding call. The Committee will consider responses to all discussion points in its review.
How to Submit a Response
Please follow the process outlined below:
1. Click on this link. Respondents will be able to access the response form in one of two ways:
- Social media account (Facebook, Google, Twitter)
- SurveyMonkey Apply account (an existing account or a new one)
If you are not able to log in through one of the above options, please contact email@example.com.
2. Once you have successfully logged in, you will be directed to the My Applications
- Please click on Programs at the top right hand corner of the page, and then click on More under the RDM program.
- Click Apply to proceed with completing your response form.
- Click on Community Consultation under Your Tasks.
3. Responses must be submitted by February 15th, 2018, 4:00 pm ET to be considered in the review process.
- Once you have filled out the response form, please click on Mark as Complete. Then click Review & Submit to review your form, and then click Submit Your Application to complete your submission. CANARIE will not accept any changes to a form once it has been submitted.
- Following the submission of your form, you will receive an email confirming that your response form was successfully submitted.
- If you have more than one gap or opportunity that you would like to submit, you can do so by completing and submitting another response form.
- Click on Programs at the top right-hand corner of the page and then click More under the RDM Program.
- Click Apply to proceed with completing another response form.
Respondents are encouraged to send questions regarding either the community consultation or the RDM Program to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions and their corresponding answers will be posted to the RDM section of CANARIE’s website, under Community Consultation FAQ.