CANARIE designs and delivers digital infrastructure, and drives its adoption for Canada’s research, education and innovation communities. CANARIE keeps Canada at the forefront of digital research and innovation, fundamental to a vibrant digital economy.
CANARIE’s roots are in advanced networking, and CANARIE continues to evolve the national ultra-high-speed backbone network that enables data-intensive, leading-edge research and big science across Canada and around the world. One million researchers, scientists and students at nearly 2,000 Canadian institutions, including universities, colleges, research institutes, hospitals, and government laboratories have access to the CANARIE Network.
CANARIE also leads the development of research software tools that enable researchers to more quickly and easily access research data, tools, and peers. In support of Canada’s high-tech entrepreneurs, CANARIE offers cloud-computing services to help them accelerate product development and gain a competitive edge in the marketplace.
Twelve provincial and territorial network partners, together with CANARIE, collectively form Canada’s National Research and Education Network (NREN). This powerful digital infrastructure connects Canadians to national and global data, tools, colleagues, and classrooms that fuel the engine of innovation in today’s digital economy.
Established in 1993, CANARIE is a non-profit corporation, with the major investment in its programs and activities provided by the Government of Canada.
Research, collaboration and innovation. Anytime.
CANARIE designs and delivers digital infrastructure, and drives its adoption for research, education and innovation.
Advancement of Canada’s knowledge and innovation infrastructure.
CANARIE’s mandate for the period of April 1, 2015 to March 31, 2020 includes the following::
- Providing an internationally competitive ultra-high speed network for Canada’s research, innovation and advanced education communities;
- Developing, demonstrating and implementing next generation technologies; and
- Assisting firms operating in Canada and Canadian institutions to advance innovation and commercialization of products and services to bolster Canada’s technology capabilities.
- Service: Anticipation of stakeholder needs and reliability in responding to these needs
- Teamwork: Respect and support for coworkers in a collaborative work environment
- Innovation: Active contribution to a culture that develops expertise and fosters creativity
- Quality: Commitment to excellence
- Integrity: Commitment to ethical and transparent decisions and interactions
For more information, view CANARIE’s Corporate Review:
Learn more about Canada’s National Research and Education Network:
Click the image to download the PDF.