MOXY: Global Exchange Point for Research and Education
MOXY is Canada’s first Global Exchange Point for research and education (R&E), located in Montreal, Quebec. Operated by CANARIE and operationally supported by NORDUnet, MOXY provides an international gateway for the Canadian R&E community.
The Exchange enables researchers to collaborate with their peers around the world by facilitating the interconnection of global research and education networks. Made possible through CANARIE’s close partnership with National Research and Education Networks in Europe and the United States, MOXY connects directly to Europe, augmenting existing exchanges that connect Europe to New York and Washington, DC.
Who Can Connect?
MOXY exclusively serves the Canadian and international R&E community. MOXY connections are available to:
- Global R&E institutions (through their National Research and Education Networks) and/or
- Commercial entities who directly support or offer services to the global R&E community.
Why Connect Through MOXY?
MOXY provides an additional North American interconnection point where research and education networks may “meet” to transfer data, improving the resiliency and redundancy of global R&E networks.
Additionally, MOXY provides researchers with:
- A connection from Canada to worldwide research and education networks and their connected institutions, research facilities, researchers and collaborators;
- Added control over jurisdiction of research data: research institutions now benefit from increased flexibility for interconnections through North America.
How to Connect
To connect to MOXY, R&E networks and institutions and/or commercial entities providing services to the R&E community must contact the CANARIE Network Operations Centre (NOC) at email@example.com. The NOC team will contact the applicant to discuss next steps of the connection process.
The current annual connection fee is:
- 10GE: $10,000 CAN + applicable taxes
- 100GE: $50,000 CAN + applicable taxes
This fee does not include the co-location, cross-connect or any other third-party fees. The provisioning and ongoing maintenance cost of any network capacity to connect to MOXY is the responsibility of the participant.