DAIR Newsletter – December 2020
Welcome to the December 2020 edition of the DAIR Community Newsletter. We have exciting news to share with you.
BigBitBus Selected to Develop New DAIR BoosterPack
One of our DAIR graduates, BigBitBus, will be building the latest DAIR BoosterPack, “Kubernetes Automation Toolkit (KAT)”, which focuses on adopting containerization technology to help businesses:
- Start to use Kubernetes for application stack development and deployment.
- “Kick-the-tires” of a Kubernetes environment on the DAIR Cloud as you decide on the infrastructure substrate suitable to you.
- Move from a Docker workflow to a full-fledged container orchestrator system (Kubernetes)
- Avoid cloud vendor lock-in by building your infrastructure-as-code tooling in cloud-agnostic Kubernetes.
BigBitBus is a startup founded in 2018 in Waterloo, ON. Their mission is to increase the transparency of public cloud and managed big data service providers so users can make informed decisions on cloud vendor selection, cloud migration, and provider comparisons. Their solution also helps IT decision-makers answer the question of which workloads are better served in private data centers as compared to public clouds.
If you’d like to learn more about BigBitBus, please visit their website.
Do you want to develop the next DAIR BoosterPack?
With BigBitBus selected, we only have a limited number of slots remaining for BoosterPack developers. Successful BoosterPack Builders are eligible to receive $50,000 CAD to develop documentation (“Flight Plans”) and a sample solution and accompanying code (“Launch Codes”) to accelerate product development and learning for early-stage startups.
As a BoosterPack Builder, you’ll benefit from:
- Connections to new, potential partners & resources
- Exposure and recognition for your expertise
- Revenue for sharing your expertise and knowledge
Contact Cynthia if you’d like more details.
Upcoming DAIR Event: Invest Durham on January 14, 2021
Please watch your inboxes and social media over the next few weeks as we send out invites for our upcoming digital event with Invest Durham. We are very excited to be collaborating with Invest Durham and are looking forward to even more opportunities with incubators and accerlerators across Canada.
If you are involved with an incubator, or know someone at an incubator or accelerator, please tell them to contact Cynthia to discuss collaboration opportunities.
In Case You Missed It!
If you missed the previous webinar, the DAIR team collaborated with the Centre d’entreprises et d’innovation de Montréal (CEIM) to present a panel on “Overcoming Startup Challenges – Advice from Local Trailblazers.” You can find the recording below, featuring two DAIR success stories: BluWave-ai and reelyActive.
We need to hear your voice! (1 question, takes 1 minute)
- Docker.com – Scaling Docker to Serve Millions More Developers: Network Egress
There was a recent buzz in the developer community about Docker Hub Pull Request Limits which took effect on November 2, 2020.
- Cloudonaut.io/ – Amazon ECR vs. Docker Hub vs. GitHub Container Registry
If you’re new to containers or planning to develop a containerized application or micro-service, here’s a great introduction article on Container Registries, comparing offerings from Amazon, Docker, and GitHub, with consideration for public or private registries.
If you are new to the DAIR Program, be sure to check out these helpful learning tutorials: